2018 Code Enforcement Guidelines
2018 CODE ENFORCEMENT UPDATE
In our continuing efforts to keep our city compliant, and to be fair and consistent to all, please review the following items which will help us accomplish that goal in the upcoming year.
PARKING OF MOTOR VEHICLES/BOATS/TRAILERS. AND OTHER OCCASIONAL USE VEHICLES
- Overnight parking is not permitted on any city street or cul-de-sac between the hours of 2:00 AM and 5 AM. Because of recent safety concerns this Ordinance will be strictly enforced in 2018.
- No motor vehicle (every day or occasional use) may be parked on any unpaved area.
- Trailers, Boats, Campers and other Occasional use vehicles may not be stored in driveways or yards, where they extend beyond the front line of the home.
- Illegal Parking- Abandoned, inoperable, or unlicensed vehicles are not allowed in the City, unless stored in a garage.
- Parking in the wrong direction on city streets is not permitted at any time.
- No more than 4 cars, including occasional use vehicles, may be permanently parked in the open at any city residence (less than 20,000 square feet lot). Exceptions can be made for temporary or holiday situations.
- Realtor signs are only allowed in the yard of the home for sale and must be placed behind the right of way. (Generally, 15-18 feet back from the street curb, or behind sidewalks, where applicable) Directional signs to the property are not allowed on any street, island, or right of way. Our city does have City Approved signs for this purpose. All signs must be removed the day of closing. Please advise your Realtor.
- Commercial advertising signs are not allowed in the city, unless work is actively in progress at the property. When allowed, they may not be placed before work begins and must be removed the day the work is complete.
- Personal Event Signs (Yard Sales. Auctions, Estate Sales) are allowed on a limited basis. They may not be placed more than 24 hours before your event begins and must be removed immediately at the event conclusion.
- Personal “Children at Play” signs do not conform to the “Manual of Approved Traffic Control Signage” used in Kentucky. They are not permitted on City Entrances, Islands, Right of Ways. Rights of Ways extend 30 feet from the center line of the street (generally 15-18 feet from the curb, or behind sidewalks where applicable).
- Personal signs may not be affixed to any city street signs, light posts, benches, or waste containers.
GARBAGE/ TRASH PICK UP
- Garbage, Yard Waste, or throw away Household Items may not be placed on the street prior to Noon the day before the assigned date for disposal.
- Cans and containers must be removed from the street before 7:00 pm the date of collection.
- Tree/ bush trimmings and yard waste not in containers, must be bundled in lengths not exceeding 4 feet. Plastic Bags are no longer usable. Lawn Waste placed on traps will no longer be picked up.
- Items too heavy or cans filled beyond capacity of the contractor to lift, will not be taken. Please be mindful of unusually heavy times, which may require special pick up arrangements. Please call 1-866-237-7019 ask for account #169216991 if you have questionable items. (These items may require an extra charge)
BUILDING/ REMODEL/ HOME MAINTAINENCE
- Windy Hills complies with Metro Louisville Building Code Permit requirements. If you are doing construction on your own, or by contractor, if a permit is required please be sure to obtain one, before work begins. Permits must be placed in plain sight on the property while construction is in progress for inspection. (Questions call Metro Government/ Construction Review 502-574-3321)
- Dumpsters/ Dumpster Bags/ Storage Pods should be placed to the rear of the property where possible, and should not be placed on any city Street or Right of Way. They may not be on site for longer than 30 days, without special approval of Windy Hills Code Enforcement.
- Unused building materials/ building waste/throw-away appliances should be stored in the rear of the property and must be removed promptly when construction is complete.
- Grass may not be allowed to grow higher than 7 inches.
- For the beauty of our city and your neighbors, we ask that you be mindful to timely, proper maintenance of bushes, shrubs, and trees on your property.
RENTAL PROPERTY ORDINANCE
- Homes in Windy Hills which are rented must be registered with the City. Existing rental homes must be registered by January 15th, 2018. New rental homes must be registered within 30 days of first rental. Contact City Hall or Code Enforcement for appropriate forms and fees.
Thank you for your attention and understanding of these important matters.
Windy Hills City Council.